Friday, 16 January 2009
I was reading anudivya's post about disastrous recipes and I'm sure all of us who enjoy cooking must have similar stories to share.
Two incidents stand out in my mind - both chocolate-related, as it happens. I have to be fair and say I can't blame the recipe for either of these - just myself!
The first was when I was very young. I'm not sure of the exact year but I must've been only just about old enough to have started cooking on my own, because this was the first time I tried to melt chocolate. I knew you could do it in a bowl over a pan, I'd done that with my mum, but I also knew about the wonder of microwaves. I broke the chocolate into chunks, put in a plastic bowl, and stuck it in for (I think) a minute. End result - chocolate charcoal, and a bowl melted beyond repair. I haven't made that mistake again!
The second time was much later, probably only about three years ago. I was making chocolate sorbet, and needed to cool it down after melting the chocolate (successfully this time!) so I put the bowl in the sink and started running in cold water. Unfortunately, I forgot to switch off the tap, so I ended up with a whole sink full of chocolatey water - yum...
What have been your most spectacular failures in the kitchen?