I was expecting friends for dinner on the night I made this risotto. They sadly weren't able to come, but although we missed them, we enjoyed our dinner so much that we were happy to have leftovers for the next day.
You probably don't want to follow this recipe if you're on a diet - although I'm sure that an almost-as-nice version can be made with less cheese & cream!
Green Vegetable Risotto
1 medium white onion
1/2 green pepper
1tbsp olive oil
250g arborio risotto rice
1 vegetable stock cube
1/2 pint boiling water
4tbsp white wine
100g green beans
100g broccoli florets
100g frozen peas
4tbsp double cream
50g cheddar cheese
25g parmesan cheese
black pepper (to taste)
- Prepare the ingredients before you start:
- Finely dice the onion and green pepper.
- Chop the asparagus & green beans into 1 inch lengths.
- Divide the broccoli into small florets.
- Grate the cheeses.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep pan and fry the onion and green pepper until they begin to soften. Add the rice, and fry for a further two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the boiling water, white wine, and stock cube, and bring back to the boil.
- Simmer for five minutes, then add the asparagus, beans, and broccoli, and simmer for a further ten minutes. Add the frozen peas and simmer for a further five minutes until the rice is cooked and all vegetables are tender.
- Once the rice is cooked, stir through the cream and grated cheeses, and season with fresh black pepper to taste.
- Heat gently until the cheese has melted through, and serve with extra parmesan (and garlic bread, and maybe a baby-leaf salad, and a glass of dry white wine...).