I wanted to try making flapjack with chocolate chips but I didn't really think it through, and when I stirred in the chocolate, it all melted thanks to the warm butter mixture. However, the result was nice enough that I'll definitely do it this way again! I kept these in the fridge, as otherwise they chocolate may melt and they're a little bit soft.
Choc Cherry Coconut Bars
325g (2½ US sticks) butter
150g (2/3 cup) soft brown sugar
70g (1/3 cup) molasses sugar
½ cup maple syrup
200g (1 cup) cherries
200g (1 cup) dark chocolate chips
90g (1 cup) dessicated coconut
700g (7 cups) oats
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- Melt the butter, sugar, and golden syrup in a large bowl (quickest way: 4mins on high power in the microwave)
- While the butter is melting, quarter the cherries.
- Stir about half of the oats, and the coconut, into the melted butter mixture.
- Add the cherries and chocolate, and mix until the cherries are evenly distributed. The chocolate will melt.
- Add the remaining oats and stir until all the oats are coated in butter/chocolate mixture (i.e. no remaining white patches)
- Line a 25x35cm, deep-sided tray with greaseproof paper, and press the mixture into the tray, smoothing with a spatula to ensure approximately even depth.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the top begins to brown (this won't be very obvious since it's already brown with chocolate!).
- Allow to cool in the tray until they are set hard enough to cut, then slice up and move to a wire rack to cool completely.