I promised I'd tell you about my favourite new kitchen purchase just as soon as I had chance to use it, and of course I wanted to use it as soon as possible.
I've wanted one of these for a couple of years, but I haven't been able to find them on sale anywhere. Now, Lakeland have finally introduced them as a new product. What am I talking about? Loose-based muffin tins.
I have - and love - several full-sized loose-based cake tins, but I really wanted to be able to make individual dessert portions in mini loose-based tins like these. For example, miniature cheesecakes.
I made two different flavours of cheesecake this time, so I'm including the recipe exactly as I prepared it: for four of each kind. Of course, you could double the quantities for either the raspberry or ginger flavours to make eight of one kind.
I found it helped to put the muffin tin on top of a clean baking sheet, to stop myself accidentally prodding the loose bases with a stray finger.
Makes 8 mini cheesecakes (4 ginger, 4 raspberry)
For the base:
85g ginger biscuits, crushed
For the basic topping:
100ml double cream
200g cream cheese
35g icing sugar
Additions for the ginger cheesecakes:
35g candied ginger
¼tsp ginger extract
Additions for the raspberry cheesecakes:
12 fresh raspberries
1 inch of vanilla pod
- Melt the butter and combine with the crushed biscuits. Divide the mixture between eight mini cheesecake pans and press into the base. Refrigerate.
- Cut eight thin slices of candied ginger, and set aside for decoration. Chop the remaining ginger into small cubes.
- Thoroughly combine the cream cheese and icing sugar in a mixing bowl. Separate off half of the cream cheese mixture into another bowl.
- To one set of cream cheese mixture, add the seeds from the vanilla pod.
- To the other, add the ginger essence and cubed ginger.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff.
- Divide the whipped cream evenly between the two batches of cream cheese. For each, fold in with a spatula until mixed.
- Spoon a little filling onto each cheesecake base, to make four of each kind. Smooth the surfaces with the back of a teaspoon.
- Use the sliced ginger to decorate the ginger cheesecake. Arrange three raspberries on top of each vanilla cheesecake.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours - or ideally overnight - before serving.