I made these when some friends came round last weekend, and there weren't any left, so they must have been appreciated! It's a variant on my usual cookie recipe (aren't they all?) but I used dark molasses sugar for an extra depth of flavour, which I think worked really well with the chocolate. You could throw in some chocolate chips for extra decadence (probably half to one cup would be about right).
Cherry Chocolate Cookies
Makes approx. 24 cookies
3 cups flour
1/2 cup cacao powder
1 cup molasses sugar
2/3 cup soft brown sugar
1tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups glace cherries (halved)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter, and add to the bowl along with the eggs and vanilla essence.
- Knead together into a soft dough.
- Add the cherries and knead until evenly distributed.
- Use a desert spoon to scoop out cookie mixture, form into a ball between your fingers, and arrange on baking sheets.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until starting to firm.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.