Last weekend, we went out for a family lunch to celebrate my grandparents' diamond wedding anniversary. That's sixty years: quite a long time, in anyone's book.
To put this in context, here are a few other things that happened in 1952:
- Queen Elizabeth II was crowned
- Ann Davison became the first woman to sail singlehanded across the Atlantic
- Britain finally stopped rationing tea, following the war.
- The first performance of John Cage's (silent) piece 4'33"
- The last executions in the Netherlands took place
- Canada's first TV broadcast
- The Mousetrap, which holds the record for longest-running play, opened in London
My mum asked me to decorate the anniversary cake, which she'd made. We only arrived there late the night before, and I had to get up at six to do the icing! So it's not my finest hour of sugarcraft, but at least it was enjoyed.