Some friends are having a regency ball to celebrate their anniversary next month, so I've somewhat naively decided to make myself a regency-style gown for the occasion. I actually bought the pattern last year, but you know what I'm like with deadlines, so I've only just got around to doing anything about it (with three weekends to go). Another friend is also making hers for the same party, so at least I'm not entirely alone in the crazy quest that is amateur dressmaking.
And I really am an amateur. This isn't quite my first attempt at historical costume-making, but my previous effort was a Roman stola, which is perhaps the simplest dress pattern ever (just two straight seams and some buttons). Although I did hand-sew that one for added authenticity, which I probably won't bother to do this time.
I spent a good chunk of this afternoon tracing and cutting the pattern - I'd prefer not to cut the original, you never know when you might want to make it again in a different size. The guidelines that came with the pattern give me a different size for each of my bust, waist, and hip measurements so I've gone for something in the middle and will tweak it as necessary later.
Next, I really need to find some suitable fabric for both the toile (to enable said tweaking) and the actual dress.