I have to be honest - I came worryingly and carelessly close to going very, very wrong on my regency dressmaking project yesterday. If the lovely Louiz of Random Acts of Yarn hadn't mentioned it on Facebook, I almost certainly wouldn't have remembered to stick the fabric in the washing machine before cutting it. And as Louiz pointed out, I might then have had an unwearable dress after the first time I washed it.
Lesson learned. Wash the fabric, then cut it.
Thankfully yesterday's weather was bright and blustery, perfect for drying washing on the line outside, so I wasn't expecting this to constitute a massive setback.
But of course, these things never go smoothly. I went out to fetch in the dry fabric, only to find it covered in white speckles from the laundry powder. Argh. I was so excited about my fabric - such a gorgeous, deep shade of purple - so I hope I can figure out a way to rescue it. Meanwhile, because I've got to get on and make this dress by Friday, I've had to buy some different material (different because the shop where I got the first lot is closed on Sundays). This will be followed up by a sternly-worded letter to the powder manufacturer, as it turns out their product contains bleach, without being advertised for whites only!
So, my new fabric is velvet, which will make for quite a different style! The cotton for the lining (bottom picture) is the closest colour I could find, and although it's not an exact match, it looks good underneath.