The combination of peaches and ginger had been going round in my head for a few weeks before I finally settled on the idea for this cake. I couldn't resist eating my first slice warm from the oven... and I couldn't resist going back for a second helping, straight after. I have a feeling it would also be fantastic as a pudding with lashings of custard, but this time it didn't last long enough to find out.
Peach & Ginger Cake Recipe
4oz/110g soft brown sugar
4oz/110g plain flour
1oz/25g rolled oats
½tsp mixed spice
9oz/250g tinned peaches (chopped)
4oz/110g crystallized ginger (chopped)
1tsp demerara sugar
- Grease and line a 6in/15cm round cake tin.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/285°F
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and beat with a spoon until combined.
- Fold in the flour, oats, and mixed spice.
- Stir through the peaches and ginger.
- Spoon the cake mix into the tin, smooth the surface, and sprinkle the top with demerara sugar.
- Bake for about an hour, or until a knife comes out clean (or clean-ish: there will always be peach juice, but the important thing is not to have raw cake batter on the knife).
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.