Mixed Vegetable Casserole
Serves 4 as a very hearty supper, or 6 with space for pudding
2tbsp olive oil
2 red onions
1 red pepper
1 jar tomato passata (680g)
200ml vegetable stock
1tsp smoked paprika
2 large carrots
½ butternut squash
1 large sweet potato
1 tin sweetcorn (325g)
1 tin butter beans (400g)
1 tin chickpeas (400g)
100g fresh spinach
12 dumplings (a double batch of this recipe)
- Chop all the vegetables into small pieces (approx. 1cm cubes).
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan (mine is 26cm diameter), and fry the leeks, onions, red peppers, and courgettes for about five minutes or until softened.
- Add the passata, vegetable stock, and seasonings.
- Add the carrots, butternut squash, and sweet potato. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C then stir the sweetcorn, butter beans, chickpeas, spinach, and broccoli into the casserole.
- Make up the dumplings, arrange on the surface of the stew, and bake in the oven (uncovered) for about 30 minutes. The dumplings should be lightly browned by this stage.