Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti Recipe
Makes approximately 20
6oz caster sugar
6oz plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp mixed spice
1 large egg
3oz hazelnuts (shelled)
3oz chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and mixed spice together in a bowl, and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Beat the egg, and add to the flour mixture. Combine to form a dough. (If the mixture is too wet to work well, add a little more flour. If it's too dry, you can add part of an additional egg, or just a little milk.)
- Chop the hazelnuts.
- Knead the hazelnuts and chocolate chips into the dough.
- Divide the dough into two halves, and roll each one into a long sausage shape.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment, and arrange the two sausages side by side, leaving space for them to expand while cooking. Slightly squash each one with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Turn the oven down to 150°C.
- Peel the biscotti gently away from the baking parchment once they have cooled, and use a serrated knife to carefully cut slices, approximately ½in thick.
- Arrange the slices on a clean sheet of baking parchment, and return to the (cooler) oven for 20 minutes, turning them over half way through baking. The dough should be crisp and golden by the end of this process.
- Cool on a wire rack. The biscotti will continue to harden as they cool.