I recently enjoyed a spicy chickpea special at my regular favourite pasty chain (West Cornwall Pasty Company, if anyone was wondering). It was nice enough for me to want to replicate it, so this is a variation on that recipe. Not that I have their recipe, of course, but I had many mouthfuls of pasty goodness through which to analyse the flavours.
The sweet potato cooks down to make a soft-textured base, contrasting nicely with the firmer chickpeas, and the whole thing has a decent chilli kick.
Spicy Chickpea Pasties
For the filling:
2tbsp olive oil
500g (18oz) sweet potato
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 red bell pepper
1 tin chickpeas
1tsp garam masala
1tsp chilli flakes
freshly ground black pepper
For the pastry:
250g (9oz) butter or vegan margarine
500g (18oz) plain flour
- Make the pastry: grate the butter (straight from the fridge) into the flour, and rub in gently with your fingers. Add cold water, a little at a time, to form a firm dough.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Chop the sweet potato into 1cm cubes, and finely chop the onion, garlic, and pepper.
- Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Fry the sweet potato, onion, pepper, and garlic until the sweet potato is soft.
- Add the chickpeas and spices, and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Set aside to cool, and stir through the remaining olive oil.
- Divide the pastry into 12 even pieces.
- Roll each ball of pastry into a circle, approx. 6in diameter. Add two dessert spoons of filling to one half of the circle (leaving plenty of space around the edge), then fold the circle in half and turn the edges together to seal. Make a hole in the top of each pastie with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 25 minutes (or freeze the pasties at this stage, and bake from frozen at a later date)
Arrange uncooked pasties on baking sheets (after step 9), and put in the coldest part of your freezer to quickly freeze them. Once they're fully frozen, you can move them to bags or boxes. To cook from frozen, they'll take about 30-35 minutes at 200°C (or you can thaw them overnight and follow the regular cooking instructions).