Did you know there was more than one kind of quinoa? I was surprised to discover that as well as the familiar white kind, there are also red and black varieties. As well as adding a bit of extra colour, the taste and texture of the different kinds are subtly different - they're a bit more crunchy. For this dish, I mixed red and white.
I wanted to make something that was suitable for a 5:2 fast day, and a 50g helping of quinoa is already a couple of hundred calories. Fortunately you can fit a lot of vegetables into a very small amount of calories.
I wanted to keep it simple so I just used mushrooms and peppers, to stick with the red-and-white theme, but you could choose any combination of veggies. In hindsight, think asparagus would work really well with the lemony dressing.
This dish has approximately 300 calories per portion. Swapping the mushrooms and peppers for other vegetables (especially green veg) won't have a huge impact on the calorie count.
Red & White Quinoa Recipe
40g red quinoa
60g white quinoa
2 red pointed peppers (200g)
1tbsp lemon juice
1tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the packet (the red may take a couple of minutes longer than the white - mine did).
- Chop peppers into large chunks and quarter the mushrooms.
- Mix the lemon juice and mustard together.
- Add the vegetables and the lemon/mustard to a frying pan, and saute over a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the quinoa to the pan with the vegetables, and toss through to coat in the lemon dressing.