Based on the same recipe I used for making peppermint mocha cupcakes a few weeks ago, this was the first time I'd tried adapting the recipe without cocoa. I was a little bit worried about how these would come out, at first, as the batter looked very pale - but they rose well and the taste was lovely.
I had some lavender languishing in the pantry from when I last made lavender shortbread, and combining it with strawberries (appropriate for Wimbledon season) seemed ideal for a summery treat.
Strawberry & Lavender Cupcakes
2 cups plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
2tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries
1tsp dried lavender flowers
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
1tsp vanilla essence
For the icing:
1tbsp freeze-dried strawberries
1tbsp warm water
10tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
- Crush the dried strawberries, and add to the flour along with the lavender.
- Add the water, oil, and vanilla essence.
- Stir to make a smooth batter, and divide between twelve cupcake cases.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool completely (on a wire rack) before icing.
- To make the icing, crush the strawberries together with 2tbsp of icing sugar. Add 1tbsp of warm water, and stir to dissolve the icing sugar. Sift in more icing sugar until you have a thick paste (the amount of icing sugar you need will depend on the humidity of the room).
- Spoon a little icing over each cake, and allow to set before eating.