Sometimes you want a traditional, comforting pud... well, the nights are drawing in! And there's nothing like lashings of custard to warm you up of an evening. Sometimes, though, you only realise dessert is needed after you've already finished cooking for the night.
You can be eating this sponge within ten minutes of thinking of it, which makes it perfect for sudden dessert cravings. Because it's cooked in the microwave, in under 5 minutes, you don't have to preheat the oven or hang around waiting for it to cook. And since the fruit component is actually jam, it doesn't require any ingredients I wouldn't usually have in my pantry.
Quick & Easy Jam Sponge
50g (2oz) butter
50g (2oz) caster sugar
1 medium egg
½tsp vanilla essence
50g (2oz) self-raising flour
2-3tbsp jam (this time I used homemade blackberry jam)
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the vanilla essence and beat in the egg.
- Fold the flour into the mixture.
- Place the jam in the base of a microwaveable bowl.
- top with sponge mixture
- microwave for about 3-5 minutes, until the sponge is springy and set (it took 4 mins in my 900W microwave)
- Serve immediately, with custard or a scoop of ice-cream.