I've always thought I preferred green Thai curry over red, but I recently got a batch of red curry paste at a ridiculous discount, and discovered it's really quite lovely in its own right. Especially with loads of coconut to balance out the heat of the chilli. I think I'm going to be making this a lot more often from now on.
Thai Red Curry
1tsp vegetable oil
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
200ml (7fl.oz) hot water
50g (2oz) red curry paste
1tsp kaffir lime leaves (chopped)
1tsp lemongrass (chopped)
100g (4oz) creamed coconut
100g (4oz) baby sweetcorn
100g (4oz) mange tout
100g (4oz) mushrooms
1 red pepper
3tbsp pea aubergines
2 spring (green) onions
- Heat the oil in a large, deep saucepan.
- Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic, and fry until softened.
- Add the hot water, curry paste, spices, and coconut.
- Slice the baby sweetcorn in half lengthways, and slice the spring onions.
- Add the remaining vegetables (reserving half of the spring onions to garnish) to the curry, and simmer for 5-10 minutes until soft.
- Serve with rice or noodles, and sprinkle with the reserved spring onions.