If you need a last minute Christmas gift idea, and fancy making something which is quick but has that hand-made touch, then this recipe for spiced nuts and seeds might be just what you're looking for. It's very, very simple - all you have to do is stir the ingredients together, then keep an eye on them in the oven to make sure nothing burns.
The resulting nuts are very slightly sweet, but mostly spicy. To present them, I used two (well-rinsed) glass coffee jars, the size that comes with 100g of instant coffee. But a large jam jar would work just as well.
Of course, they'd also make a delicious snack for your next Christmas party.
These should be fine for at least a week. Unfortunately, we didn't hang on to any for long enough to see how well they last over a longer period!
Spiced Nuts & Seeds
350g (14oz) whole nuts
150g (6oz) seeds
1 egg white
25g (1oz) icing sugar
½tsp garam masala
¼tsp mixed spice
- Preheat the oven to 120°C.
- Weigh out the nuts and seeds, and (optionally) chop any large nuts into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg white until stiff.
- Stir in the sugar, salt, and spices.
- Add the nuts and seeds to the egg mixture, and stir until well coated.
- Spread out on a non-stick baking tray, and bake for one hour, stirring every twenty minutes to turn the nuts.
- Allow to cool before packaging in an airtight jar.